College Mental Health Nurse
We are looking for a College Mental Health Nurse to join our team of staff. Applications are welcome from registered nurses (current registration with NMC) who wish to work full time, term time only. Daily start and finish times to be agreed.
- To support students with any mental health issues that could provide a barrier to learning or have a significant negative impact on wellbeing. Mental health is a significant aspect of the role.
- To work with students on a one-to-one basis to support them with any significant issues they may have, such as anxiety, stress/exam stress, bereavement etc. These services may also be provided for staff if appropriate.
- To employ a variety of methods that focus on helping students overcome the above, such as CBT and/or relevant counselling.
- To work with colleagues to maintain the safe well-being of students whilst in the college environment.
- To give informed individualised advice to students and their parents/carers when required.
- To identify any potential safeguarding issues and refer to the appropriate member of staff within the college. Give evidence based support to uphold any referrals to external agencies.
- To support teaching staff to identify an early deterioration in a student’s physical, mental, emotional well-being with a view of sustaining a high level of attendance and a positive outcome.
- To work with other external agencies and professional bodies to effectively support families and students.
- To promote confidentiality and ensure the creation and maintenance of medical and personal information in accordance with relevant legislation.
- To co-ordinate the communication of essential medical information between students and college staff during the transition prior to the students starting their studies. To contribute to the maintenance of a high retention rate by the provision of a high standard of support and information.
- To monitor the medications of students who self-administer prescribed medications.
- To participate on the College’s Health & Safety Group.
- To ensure that all medical information is accurately recorded on college safeguarding systems and this information is maintained and reviewed on a regular basis.
- To promote and deliver health related workshops and to encourage local agency initiatives when promoting health to promote Educational Health days, i.e. smoking cessation, weight management, exercise and STDs.
- To take an active role in INSET to help educate and support staff through a number of interactive techniques to ensure that they are proficient when dealing with the physical, mental health and emotional needs of students.
- To work with line managers to develop Education and Health Care Plans and to work with the pastoral team to offer advice on classroom differentiated needs of individual students with medical difficulties.
- To attend Open Evenings to promote and raise the college’s profile within the community
- To attend regular ‘debriefing’ style meetings with members of staff to share information and ensure that any student stress related matters are dealt with effectively.
- Any other reasonable duties commensurate with the role and with the skills of the post holder as agreed.
Support for the College
The College Nurse will
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
- Be aware of and support difference to help ensure everyone has equal access to the services of the college and feels valued, respecting their social, cultural linguistic, religious and ethnic background.
- Contribute to the college ethos, aims and development/improvement plan.
- Attend and participate in meetings as required.
- Undertake personal development through training and other learning activities including performance management as required.
- Support college events such as Open Days, Parents’ Evenings and Enrolment as required.